Our teeth work hard and are continuously under assault by what we eat and drink. That’s why they’re encased in enamel, the hardest substance in the body. At Felton Dental Care, your Missoula dentist, we remind you that enamel erosion is extremely prevalent. The good news is that it is largely preventable.
Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. It can also be affected by certain medications, teeth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal problems, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
- Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body: once it has been worn away, it can’t be regenerated.
- According to the National Institute of Health, 41% of teenagers already have enamel erosion.
- Vigorous brushing can hurt enamel.
- Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as harmful as sugared sodas.
- Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to treat it now. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been compromised.
Call us at Felton Dental Care in Missoula to schedule an examination. Our services include general and family dentistry and cosmetic dentistry, including teeth whitening. For our patients with dental anxiety, we provide sedation dentistry.
Contact Felton Dental Care – Dr. Brett R. Felton, DMD:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):